Are you wondering what are the best smelling essential oils for home and what essential oils are good to get rid of smells? Check the list below of 17 essential oils for odor elimination and odor control.
You can also find DIY essential oil odor eliminator spray for the bathroom and other recipes to get rid of nasty smells around your home.
Note: This article is only for informational purposes and is not intended to treat any health issues. If in doubt always consult an expert. Remember to take care when handling essential oils. To find out all about their safety including essential oils for the skin, pets, children, pregnancy and more check this article.
- 1 What Are the Best Smelling Essential Oils for Home?
- 2 10 Great Smelling Essential Oils Recipes to Get Rid of Bad Odor At Home
- 3 7 Tips to Make Essential Oils Scent Last Longer
What Are the Best Smelling Essential Oils for Home?
Diffusing oils is therapeutic and fun. They have the benefits of improving moods, enhancing relaxation, reducing psychological imbalances, just to mention a few.
Their sweet aroma can bring back good memories, as well as enter the bloodstream to balance hormone levels, leaving you feeling great.
Choosing essential oils to make your house smell good is easy with this handy guide.
1. Lavender oil
Lavender oil has a sweet aroma that helps to relieve anxiety, and calm the mind and body. Few drops can be applied on cushions, pillowcases or tissue to disperse the aroma. For better sleep, diffuse the oil at night.
You can also place 3 or 4 drops of lavender essential oil in a bottle, mix it with water and spray through your home.
Rosemary essential oil has an aroma that remains me of Vicks Vapor rub. It diffuses well and gives an uplifting feeling.
Used in aromatherapy, the woody, evergreen scent of Rosemary can promote relaxation and boost alertness as well as brain function, thereby improving memory. To relieve stress while studying and maintain concentration, diffuse Rosemary Essential Oil in the room for a maximum of 30 minutes.Source
It is also said to be very efficient in stimulating hair growth. I use a DIY shampoo for hair loss that I make with rosemary oil and fresh nettles. To find out how is done check this homemade shampoo for hair growth recipe.
To give your home rosemary smell cut a lemon in half and add few drops of rosemary essential oil in each half. Place the lemons where you want the smell to go.
3. Roman Chamomile
Chamomile has a calming scent that brings inner peace and relieves stress. A few drops near the trash bin repel bugs and leave your home smelling good.
It can also be used in laundry bags and vacuum cleaners, to leave a fresh smell all around your home.
Peppermint aroma relaxes your mind and gives you inner peace. It increases mental energy and alertness.
To give a nice scent to your home add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to cotton balls, and place them around your house.
5. Ylang Ylang
This essential oil has a romantic and uplifting scent, bringing feelings of comfort, fighting depression, enhancing your mood and helping you relax.
For a nice smelling home add 10 drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil and 10 drops of orange essential oil to hot water. Transfer to a container with a pierced lid and place it in the room of your choice. Be careful when handling the hot water.
Its sweet citrus aroma freshens the mind and increases productivity and concentration. It has calming properties, with a positive effect on moods. It also helps to overcome anxiety, fatigue and dizziness.
To keep your home smelling good try adding few drops of lemon essential oil to your household cleaners. It will also keep your home disinfected and free of grease.
It is one of the best smelling oils with a pure, concentrated scent that lasts for hours. The aroma when released in the brain gives a feel good, cheering effect. It also reduces anxiety and depression.
If you like the smell of rose essential oil put a litre of water to boil. Let it cool and add few drops of rose essential oil. Transfer to a bottle with spray. Now is ready to use.
8. Clary sage
Clary sage aroma will produce that euphoric feeling of confidence, happiness and high spirits. It also reduces chronic anxiety.
If you enjoy the aroma of clary sage essential oil in your home add between 3 and 5 droplets into a diffuser.
Sandalwood retains its fragrance for years if well stored. It has a woodsy, balsamic, refreshing, earthy aroma that helps reduce anxiety and stress. It deepens meditation and balances emotion.
For a nice scent add 1 or 2 drops of sandalwood essential oil to cotton balls and place them around your home.
10. Patchouli oil
This is a strong oil which should be used in small doses. Its aroma relieves anxiety, depression and stress, and lifts your moods. it also helps to overcome fatigue.
If you want your home to smell like patchouli mix 2 drops of this essential oil (a little goes a long way) with a spoon of baking soda. Stir and add two cups of water. Transfer to a spray bottle.
11. Sweet orange
This aromatic oil will better your moods and give you optimism feelings, uplifting you emotionally.
To give your home this delicious scent make this DIY recipe. Put 2 or 3 orange peels to simmer and add 3 cinnamon sticks. To enhance the aroma add 2 or 3 drops of sweet orange essential oil. Let it cool and transfer the water to a spray bottle.
Bergamot is extracted from the Bergamot orange. It has a citrus scented smell and relaxing aroma that promotes sleep, helps overcome dark moods, anxiety, reducing breathing, jittery nerves and tension.
If you love Bergamot scent at home you could make a mikado (wooden sticks) air freshener.
In a bowl mix 6.5 spoons of alcohol (96º) with 2.5 spoons of water. Then add about 3 teaspoons of Bergamot essential oil.
Using a funnel transfer to a glass container with a narrow opening, put the lid on and shake it. Now open it again and insert few rattan or bamboo sticks. Your diy home air freshener is ready to use.
Jasmine has a sweet and warm floral fragrance which elevates moods and induces a cheerful feeling while enhancing alertness.
To give a nice smell to you bedroom add few drops of jasmine essential oil to a cotton ball. Place it inside the pillowcase to enjoy a pleasant smell throughout the night. You can also use lavender or chamomile essential oils for a more relaxing experience.
Marjoram essential oil is good for kids as it calms hyperactivity. It reduces anxiety, stress, fatigue and depression.
If you want your home to smell marjoram mix few drops of marjoram essential oil with water. Place in a bottle and spray around your home.
Geranium has a calming scent, with its fresh floral fragrance. It relaxes senses and emotions, rejuvenating the mind and body, and helping people sleep.
Clean the vacuum’s filter and a few drops of geranium essential oil to the filter. Now every time you vacuum your home will have a subtle geranium scent.
Cinnamon aroma signals fun and a feeling of warmth, comfort, security, and well-being. Cinnamon is specially popular during festivities such as Christmas.
Want your home to smell like cinnamon? Add 1 or 2 drops of cinnamon essential oil inside cushions or pillows.
With anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties eucalyptus is ideal to use as a desinfectant, cleaner and deodorizer.
Add few drops of eucalyptus oil to a bowl of warm water to eliminate bad odors around the house. It is also very effective in getting rid of musty smells.
There you have it! A list of the best smelling essential oils for home. Pick the ones you enjoy most and use them responsibly around your rooms.
NOTE: Essential oils are safer than candles and incense, which put your valuables at risk of fire. Caution should, however, be taken not to use too much of them as they may cause allergic reactions, dizziness, headache, eye and breathing irritation. Never apply undiluted to the skin and don’t use internally or if you are pregnant. Avoid diffusing oils close to your pets and keep out of reach of children. Additionally, keep them from fire and heat as they are naturally volatile. If in doubt always consult an expert.
10 Great Smelling Essential Oils Recipes to Get Rid of Bad Odor At Home
Check these best smelling essential oils blends and hacks to help you fight bad odor and keep that fresh smell around your home.
If your bathroom smell is bothering you or you simply want it to smell fresh all day make this simple essential oil bathroom spray and say good bye to bad odors.
- Mix 1 1/2 oz of distilled water with
- 10 drops of peppermint and
- 15 drops of lemon-grass oil
- Shake and spray
You may also use a combination of lavender and cedar-wood or cinnamon and clove.
2. Teen Bedroom
Teen bedrooms can be messy and smelly. To keep it smelling good and fresh try this essential oil spray:
- Mix 1 cup of white vinegar
- 1 cup of seltzer water
- 1/8 cup of hydrogen peroxide and
- 8 drops of tea tree oil
- Shake and spray into the room
Need help cleaning your room? Check these awesome tips for cleaning a messy bedroom.
Keep your fridge smelling good with this essential oil hack:
Lemon essential oil is very efficient to get rid of smells and great to absorb odour floating around the fridge. Do this eliminate bad odor in your fridge:
- Put a cotton ball in a bowl
- Add 4-7 drops of lemon essential oil
- Place the bowl in the fridge and let the gentle scent diffuse
4. Washing Machine
How to get great smelling laundry every time:
- Mix a cup of hot water with 2 cups of vinegar
- Add 1/4 cup of baking soda and
- 40 drops of an essential oil such as thyme, oregano or rosemary
- Rub this mixture in the washing machine and let it rest a while before washing it off.
Does your sink stink? No anymore with this essential oil trick:
- Put 4 drops of citrus essential oil in the sink and leave it overnight
- You may also use eucalyptus or tea tree oil
- Rinse with boiling water
How to make your wardrobe smell nice? Try this DIY wardrobe freshener:
- Put 1-2 teaspoons of rice in a glass jar
- Add 10-20 drops of rosemary, pepper and lavender
- Cover the top with fabric and secure a wire or rubber band
- Hold the lid and shake well for a fresh scent in the wardrobe
This closet DIY air freshener is awesome and if the rice is good, it will last up-to 4 or 6 months.
Do you want your linen smelling great all the time? You can achieve it with this DIY refreshing, uplifting and calming linen spray:
- Mix 24 drops of lavender, 36 drops of lemon, 30 drops of fir and cypress, with 1 tbsp of vodka. Vodka makes it last.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes and shake again, then add water in an 8 ounce spray bottle till its almost full.
- Cap bottle and shake
- The spray can be used for a fresh scent on linen, including bedding and furniture covered with fabric.
- You can also add 10 drops of your favorite essential oil during the final rinse, to give them a good scent.
Does your carpet smell bad? This trick will leave your carpet smelling divine.
- Take 3 spoons of baking soda
- Pick your favorite essential oil
- Mix the baking soda and the essential oil
- Smell the difference!
Get your shoe odour under control by using essential oils for smelly feet. Either cinnamon, thyme or clove essential oils are effective choices.
Thyme is a strong antimicrobial against salmonella and staphylococcus species, while clove and cinnamon are active against fungi.
- Mix a teaspoon of coconut oil with 3 drops of each
- Swab the oil mixture inside the shoe using a cotton bud
- Leave the cotton bud inside and cover the shoe with a plastic bag
- Leave it overnight and enjoy your fresh smelling shoe in the morning
10. Pet Urine
Is your pet’s urine odour driving you mad? Do this:
- First clean the area well or dry the carpet with absorbent paper or fabric.
- Then mix one part of water with three parts of apple cider vinegar.
- Spray the mixture over the smelly area.
- Now for the nice smell mix 20 drops of essential oil such as lemon, orange or lavender with three cups of baking soda.
- Sprinkle over the area and leave until the smell is gone.
- Now is ready to vacuum!
✅ Must Have for Essential Oils:
7 Tips to Make Essential Oils Scent Last Longer
The longevity of the smell depends on the type and quality of the oil used.
- Sandalwood and cedarwood scents tend to last longer.
- Frankincense can be added to citrus components to make the scent last.
- Aroma chemicals such as synthetic musks and ambergris also make scents last longer.
- Addition of dipropylene glycol at 2-5 % is also effective.
- Store the oils away from direct sunlight and heat.
- When using an oil burner add few drops of Safflower oil to make the scented oil burn longer – tip from funcheaporfree.com
- Lastly, do not over-dilute the oils.
This is my list of the best smelling essential oils for home. Which one is your favorite?