Try these DIY air fresheners with baking soda, citrus peels, and dried flowers if you want your home to have a natural fresh scent.
I can’t stand those sprays full of chemicals. The fragrance is way too strong and I usually end up with a headache. I don’t buy them anymore, instead, I make my own air fresheners.
If you are looking for natural solutions to freshen up your home these recipes are a great alternative. They are very easy to make and you only need 3 or 4 ingredients.
3 Easy Homemade Air Freshener Recipes
These recipes are made with baking soda. Remember that baking soda is used to eliminate bad odor but it won’t add any fragrance. Is for that reason we use essential oils, citrus peels, and dried flowers. If you don’t add essential oils you will be missing the scent.
1. With Lemon
Ingredients you need:
- Baking soda (5 teaspoons)
- Grated lemon peel (2 teaspoons)
- 15 drops lemon essential oil (optional but recommended)
- Container and a lid with holes
How to make it:
Place the baking soda in the container you are going to keep the air freshener. I have used a small jar for spices.
Add the essential oil. I have chosen lemon because I like the fresh fragrance. Mix well.
Incorporate the grated lemon peel. Cover with your hand and shake well. Put the lid on.
Ready to use!
2. With Orange & Cinnamon
This is recipe is the same but using orange instead of lemon.
- baking soda (4 teaspoons)
- grated orange peel (2 teaspoons)
- cinnamon stick
- 15 drops orange essential oil
- container and lid with holes
How to make it:
- Get all the ingredients.
- Place the baking soda in the container and add 15 drops of orange essential oil. Mix well. The container I have used for this air freshener is an old jar of setting powder.
- Add orange peel and cinnamon stick in small pieces.
- Cover the opening of the container with your hands and shake well.
- Want to give a nice scent to your closet? Check these brilliant hacks to make your closet smell good.
- Give a great scent to your home with this list of the best essential oils for home.
- Use these tips to boost your laundry fragrance and make it smell fresh.
3. With Dried Rose Petals
Again very similar but using dried rose petals this time.
- baking soda (5 teaspoons)
- dried rose petals (2 teaspoons)
- 15 drops of rose essential oil (optional but you will miss the awesome scent)
How to make it:
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place the baking soda in the container and add the rose essential oil. Mix well.
- Now add the rose petals and mix.
- Cover the top with a net and secure with an elastic band.
To make them look cute tie a ribbon and make a bow.
- These should last for about 6 weeks or more
- Don’t forget to shake them often to “wake up” the fragrance
- When the scent starts to fade add more essential oil and shake
- Make your own air freshener by customizing the recipes. Add your favorite essential oils, dried flowers, spices, or herbs.
- Floral and herbal essential oils have stronger scents than fruity ones
- Other dried flowers you can add include chamomile, lavender, hibiscus, and calendula.
- Use other citrus peels like limes or grapefruit
- Make small batches and place in strategic areas around your home
- Use them to get rid of bad odors in closets and in carpets.
- When the time comes to replace them use as a cleaner for bathrooms
✅ Ingredients to make your own homemade air fresheners:
What are your preferred DIY air fresheners with baking soda?