Making your own diy hyaluronic acid serum recipe is easier than you might think. You only need 3 ingredients: hyaluronic acid powder (Sodium Hyaluronate) , distilled water and a preservative.
Why make your own HA serum?
- Is cheaper. Most serums and skin care creams with HA will cost you more.
- Since is homemade you know exactly what you are applying on your skin.
- The HA powder you buy is going to last for a long time as you only need a small amount to make the serum.
Below the recipe you are going to find the benefits of using hyaluronic acid on the skin just in case you are interested.
How to Make Hyaluronic Acid Serum (only topical application)
We need to use a preservative because the recipe contains water. Don’t be tempted to skip the preservative if you want to avoid the growth of microbes on your serum.
This amount is for 100 gr.
- 95.9 gr distilled water
- 1 gr hyaluronic acid powder ( Sodium Hyaluronate) – I’m using a mixture of high and low molecular weight.
- 2 gr glycerin (optional)
- 1.1 gr preservative (broad spectrum). This the the amount I have to use for the preservative I’m using. Check the guidelines of the preservative you are using to make sure you add the right amount. If you are looking for a broad spectrum preservative check this one.
When making your own HA serum is recommended to add 1% and never more than 2% of hyaluronic acid powder. Too much HA can dry the skin.
What is the difference between high molecular and low molecular hyaluronic acid and why should you care?
It’s all to do with the size of the molecules. Low molecular weight is able to penetrate deep into the epidermis to hydrate, heal and plump the skin.
On the other hand, high molecular weight stays on top of the skin, protecting the skin and attracting moisture from the air to keep it hydrated.
So, by using both weights you get the combined benefits of the two.
How to make it
The recipe is pretty straightforward.
1 – First disinfect the utensils you are going to use with 70% rubbing alcohol.
2 – Measure the distilled water and transfer into an sterilized container.
3 – Now measure the HA powder in a digital scale like this one and pour on top of the distilled water. Don’t stir or shake! Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for few hours or overnight.
4 – After this time the hyaluronic acid powder will have absorbed the water and you will have a substance like gel.
5 – If you are using glycerin add it now and mix it well.
6 – The last thing you want to do is add the preservative. Stir.
7 – Transfer to a container with lid. The last thing I like to do is put the lid on and shake it to make sure the preservative is well incorporated.
If you use the correct amount of preservative it should last few months (3 to 6). It is important to label the container with the name of the product and the date it was made.
And that’s all. The homemade hyaluronic acid serum is ready to use.
Skin Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid
One of the main reasons HA is used in cosmetic products is because it has a great capacity to attract and retain moisture.
Topical application allows deep hydration of the skin, making its appearance smoother and plumper, increasing its thickness, which in turn helps to minimize fine lines and wrinkles.
It is also a great skin healer, so it can be applied to wounds already closed, but not yet healed.
To use it apply on slightly damp skin morning and/or night. You could also add it to your existing skin care face creams to boost its benefits.
✅ Other homemade skin care recipes you WILL LOVE:
- Homemade aloe vera face cream recipe
- Easy diy rose water recipe
- Homemade rose water face cream recipe
- Effective diy anti aging face cream for sagging skin
- Homemade cream to reduce stretch marks