I have been exploring French country style accessories and decorating tips to create this welcoming look at home.
I love French country style decor. Is beautiful, relaxed and charming.
What is French country style?
The French country décor mixes the vintage and contemporary design ideas to achieve a classic and welcoming home.
The rustic style draws its inspiration from the Provence’s lovely nature and landscapes. The lavender fields, hills, and the bright sunshine.
While it incorporates different elements, the French Country Décor mainly leans towards rustic, vintage and lived-in look.
It is warm and casual.
This style will change your house into a lively home in an instant.
Now let’s have a look at essential French country interior design elements.
9 French Country Style Accessories & Tips | Give Your Home a “Provencal” Look
How to decorate your home French country style?
Whether you are after French provincial decorating tips on a budget or can afford to splash a bit of cash, I have the tips and accessories you need.
To get the French style right is essential to pick accessories that complement your home’s look and furniture.
Pick accessories that can be placed strategically in walls, floors, rooms and furniture to accentuate their laid back appearance.
Now lets have a look at specific French country decorating tips.
1. Hang abstract paintings on the wall, some black and white photography or some vintage floral drawings.
2. Another way to recreate this look is by placing artistic rugs over wooden floors.
3. A French country house is not complete without a fireplace. If you do not have a built-in fireplace create a faux one. Put some beams together and make it a wooden mantel. Complete the fireplace with some white spray of paint.
Lay some ceramics, hand carvings and or pottery over the fireplace to complete the homely lived-in look.
You can collect beautifully aged ceramics from antique shops or garage sales.
Or you could have a look at the vintage style fireplace below.
4. Chandeliers are a signature in French décor and a must have accessory to add taste and style.
Crystal chandeliers are the perfect pick for a French look. Add these magnificent pieces to the bedroom or the sitting room for glamour and style.
If you love chandeliers check the one below. Is beautiful, sparkly and affordable.
5. Store some pots, used books, or tableware in an open armoire. You can also fit this wonderful French choice cabinet in the bedroom instead of a closed wardrobe.
6. Another accessory found on the Provence countryside homes is an oversized wall clock. Pick an aged looking clock for a timeless addition to the kitchen, bedroom or the dining area.
7. A nice addition to country French decor are rustic metals and wrought iron. Hang rustic items on your kitchen or a wrought iron framed mirror in your living room to incorporate these metals in your decor.
8. A typical item of this style is a bookshelf. Place a shelf along the wall next to the fireplace or at the room corner with a collection of books. A vintage bookshelf with carved details will complement this look perfectly.
9. Add a bouquet of dried or fresh flowers. Flowers over a basket or a vintage rustic vase will brighten up the place beautifully.
7 French Farmhouse Decor Ideas : Furniture & Walls
1. The keyword for rusty French décor furniture is, distressed. Distressed furniture adds a lived-in Provence look to the house. If you like this style you can find distressed furniture in stores or if you are into DIY you could transform old furniture to achieve the vintage look.
2. Your goal for a sitting area is comfort and relaxation. Place miss matched sitting chairs or furniture and incorporate vintage armchairs and upholstered pieces.
3. Fit the bed with a large upholstered headboard or place some upholstered couch in the sitting area and your house will spell Provence.
4. Consider a large, dull-waxed dining table and curved chairs with a contemporary upholstered design to add to your décor. Upholstered adds luxury and class into the home.
# You could also opt for a large farmhouse style dinning table to get the rustic feeling.
5. For the bedroom, pick a bed with a large wrought iron headboard and throw in as many pillows as you want. Add a tufted chair or bench at the end of the bed to complete the French rustic look.
6. French country homes are adorned with stoned walls or revealed brick walls. Distressed beams and timbers, woods that reveal their grain, and lightly finished window casing that shows natural nuts are a characteristic of this home décor.
7. Furniture and other architectural features should portray some age. Some unfinished looks and unique designs. Allow enough room for creativity.
French Country Style Accessories & Style: Colors and Fabrics
French country décor is characterized by simple neutral colors.
The varying country landscapes of the Provence and climate influence the choice of colors for a country French Décor.
The palette ranges along the neutral colors and colors from classic French fabrics.
1. Choose some sunny yellow, bright grass green and dark hunter green, soft oceans tones and earthy browns. Pick complementing colors for a relaxed country home.
2. Go for neutral or pastel colors for the wall to complement a colorful interior.
3. Another way to achieve the rustic French look is by whitewashing the cabinets and some of the walls.
4. Add wallpapers with flower patterns or place floor rugs with beautiful distressed designs.
5. Hang long drapes over the large framed windows. Let them flow and make a pool on the floor.
6. Choose linen fabric in cream and white colors for the bedding. The covers should have extra length to sweep the floor.
7. Accessorize with beautiful toile fabrics. Toile the traditional French country fabric is a necessary addition to your décor.
Choose curtains charmingly decorated with rustic motifs and toile.
Get some linen or seat covers with toile designs and bring classic French into your house.
# If you are into farmhouse decor style check these vintage farmhouse tips and must have accessories.
Turning your house into a French country house is easy if you know what to look for.
French style is versatile. Take advantage of old furniture, worn fabrics or antiques you have on your home and make them count.
Throw in some vintage pieces and personalize a few items and you will always long to stay in your Provence “maison”.
What are your favorite French country style accessories and decorating tips?