The texture of this homemade aloe vera face cream is light because it doesn’t contain butter or beeswax.
I wanted to make a facial cream that is not heavy on the skin and since I happen to have a few aloe vera plants I decided to make this cream.
I love aloe vera gel because it is a good face moisturizer and it helps to regenerate the skin, keeping it plumper and smoother. Since it has anti-inflammatory properties many people use it to treat their acne.
It is also a natural healer and is effective in relieving sunburn and reducing rosacea, dark spots, and wrinkles.
These are some of aloe vera skin benefits according to research:
The amino acids also soften hardened skin cells and zinc acts as an astringent to tighten pores. Its moisturizing effects has also been studied in treatment of dry skin associated with occupational exposure where aloe vera gel gloves improved the skin integrity, decreases appearance of fine wrinkle and decreases erythema. It also has anti-acne effect.Source
Are you ready to make a natural face cream with great benefits for the skin?
Let’s do it!
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. It means that if you buy through my links I will receive a small compensation at no extra cost to you.
DIY Aloe Vera Face Cream
This face cream can be made using aloe vera gel from the plant or from the bottle. I have made it both ways and I like them equally.
I have also added a few active ingredients I had at home. You don’t need to add all of them if you don’t have them. Once you have the base cream it can be customized to your taste.
Base cream ingredients
- 50 gr aloe vera gel (buy it here)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerine (get it here)
- 25 gr carrier oil
- 10 gr emulsifying wax (buy it here)
- 10 drops rosehip oil
- Vitamin e – 1 teaspoon
- Broad-spectrum preservative at 1% – For the amount you need, check the manufacturer’s directions.
Active ingredients (optional)
- DMAE powder – 1 teaspoon (get it here)
- Vitamin c serum – 10 drops
- Hyaluronic acid serum – 10 drops
- Rose essential oil – 10 drops (buy it here)
- Cedarwood essential oil – 5 drops (get it here)
How to make it:
1. Place the aloe vera leaves in warm water for 30 minutes to eliminate the aloin (yellow substance). Alternatively, you could use a good aloe vera gel.
2. Extract the gel from the leaves and mix it with glycerin. Place in a heat resistant container.
3. Mix the oils with the emulsifying wax and place it in a heat resistant container.
4. Position both containers in another one with water (hot water bath) and simmer over a low/medium heat until the wax melts.
5. Remove both containers from the heat and slowly pour the aloe vera gel over the oils while continuously blending with a hand mixer.
6. Now, start adding the active ingredients. Add rosehip oil, vitamin e, and DMAE powder. Blend with the hand mixer.
7. Keep adding vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, essential oils, and the preservative. It is important to blend all the ingredients well to make sure the preservative is well distributed.
If you are adding any kind of ingredient in powder form, make sure it is dissolved completely or you will end up with little bits on the cream. It happened the first time I made the cream.
Once the moisturizer is ready, transfer to a sterilized container and write the date. I like to use 70% alcohol to clean the jars.
I have made enough face cream to overfill a 100 ml jar.
The shelf life is from 3 to 6 months approx.
How To Make Aloe Vera Face Cream (2nd recipe)
This second recipe uses store-bought aloe vera gel and is quite similar to the recipe above.
30 gr aloe vera gel
20 gr distilled water
15 gr Apricot Kernel oil (you could use almond or any other kind)
1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
1 teaspoon vegetable glycerine
7 gr emulsifying wax
10 drops rosehip oil
10 drops essential oil of your choice (optional)
Place distilled water, aloe vera gel, and glycerine in a heat resistant container.
Do the same with the carrier oil and emulsifying wax.
Put both containers into another container with water over low heat.
Once the wax melts remove it from the heat.
Now pour the mixture of aloe vera gel, distilled water, and glycerine over the melted wax mixture while using a hand blender.
Keep blending until the mixture has emulsified.
Add rosehip oil, vitamin E oil, and lavender essential oil. Stir well.
The last step is to add a preservative. Be sure you add the right percentage of preservative for the amount you are making.
Mix thoroughly to make sure the preservative is distributed throughout the cream.
The aloe vera face cream is ready to use. Transfer to a sterilized container and keep it in a cool place.
How long will this homemade aloe vera face cream last? It can last up to 6 months, providing that you keep it away from water.
This amount will fill a 60 or 70 ml jar. Make sure to date the container.
If you are pregnant, breastfeeding or on medication ask your doctor about the safeness of the ingredients used.
✅ Other great recipes you can make at home
- Homemade anti-aging face cream for sagging skin
- Make your own lip balm with this easy recipe
- Reduce stretch marks with this homemade cream with calendula infused oil
- Delay aging skin and wrinkles with this homemade anti-aging cream
- DIY firming eye cream with green tea
How to use it
Apply a small amount over the face and neck and massage the cream from the center to the sides of the face. You can use it morning and/or night.
If you have any questions or comments let me know in the section below.