We all know that a house is not just a place to live, it is also our sanctuary.
A place where we can relax and be at peace.
But sometimes and for different reasons our homes can get smelly.
And when this happens is time to take action to make our house smell good or simply better.
In this article, you’ll know all the smell hacks to turn your house into a fresh, fragrant, and heavenly paradise.
19 Ways to Make Your House Smell Good and Fresh
What should you do to make your home go from “just not smelling bad” to “smelling amazing”?
A good-smelling home can boost your mood and wellbeing.
When it smells good, you love staying at home. You are at peace and you actually relax. Your kids could focus better on their studies and you could do your work with better focus.
It also does wonders as a first impression when someone visits you. People think of you highly as a clean and organized person.
So what should you do to make your house smell good naturally?
1. Cleaning Inside Dishwasher and Washing Machine
Dishwashers and washing machines are notorious for being breeding grounds for bacteria, so it’s important to clean them occasionally.
To clean the dishwasher, start by emptying it and removing any food or debris that may be stuck on or inside the machine.
Next, use a cleaning agent specifically designed for dishwashers to spray inside and outside of the appliance.
Finally, run a cycle with hot water and vinegar to disinfect and remove any leftover residue.
For more tips about keeping your dishwasher sparkling clean, read the article about dishwasher cleaning hacks.
To clean a smelly washing machine naturally pour 2 cups of white vinegar into the drum and run a cycle with hot water.
Don’t forget to clean the rubber seal and detergent compartment with a cloth soaked with vinegar or baking soda.
Leave the washing machine door open after every wash.
Other tips to keep your washing machine free from smell:
- Place a couple of tablespoons of baking soda on the bottom of the machine, leave it overnight, and then rinse in hot water in the morning.
- Another option is to put a couple pieces of citrus peel into your washing machine overnight and then remove them in the morning before running a load of laundry.
- Use essential oils like lavender, lemon, tea tree, and eucalyptus. Add a few drops of these oils to a damped cloth and wipe the inside of your washing machine with it.
2. Simmer Citrus Peels on Stove
How do you make your house smell like citrus?
Well, you can have that smell all the time by simmering the peels on your stove.
Citrus peels can be simmered on your stove to release a wonderful, refreshing smell.
Orange peels seem to work best for this, but lemon and lime peels will also work.
All you need is some water and a stovetop.
Simply add the peels to a pot of boiling water and let them simmer for at least 10 minutes. The longer you simmer them, the stronger the smell will be.
And voila! Enjoy the pleasant fragrance of a citrus garden while staying at home.
What other things can you boil or simmer to make your house smell good?
- Apples and apple peels
- Lemons and oranges cut into pieces
- Pine springs
- Springs of fresh herbs like coriander, rosemary, or sage
- Spices like cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, star anise, ginger, and vanilla
- Laundry detergent or softener
3. Sprinkle Baking Soda on Disposal Area
If you’re like most people, you dread the task of cleaning your kitchen’s disposal area.
The gunk and grime that builds up over time can be difficult to remove, but there’s an easy trick that can make the job a lot easier.
There is a simple solution that can help eliminate the odor – baking soda.
Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on the disposal area and let it sit for a few minutes. It will help to loosen up the grime.
Then, run cold water through the disposal.
The baking soda will help absorb the odors and leave your disposal smelling fresh and clean.
*Adding one tablespoon of baking soda to the bottom of your rubbish bin will help neutralize bad odors.
4. How to Make Your House Smell Good with Vanilla Extract
Do you ever cook something in the microwave and it leaves a not-so-pleasant smell?
Well, have no fear because there’s a quick and easy way to remove the smell!
Pour 2 to 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract into a bowl with water. Microwave for 30 seconds to one minute and the smell will be gone.
Vanilla extract is a common ingredient in baking, and it’s also used to give a pleasant smell to a house.
Do you have a smelly microwave? Check how to clean inside a microwave.
*If your refrigerator smells bad or you simply want the fridge to have a nice scent place a few cotton balls soaked with vanilla extract in a small dish and in a corner inside the fridge.
5. How to Make Your Home Smell Nice All The Time
A good trick to make your house smell good all the time is by making the floors smell good too.
This can be achieved when vacuuming or mopping the floor.
Take a cotton ball dipped in your favorite essential oil scent and place it inside the vacuum bag. If you have a stick vacuum cleaner, like me, place the cotton ball inside the bin part (like in the image below) or scatter a few pieces of cotton soaked in essential oil around the floor and then vacuum the floor.
You could also add a few drops of essential oil such as lavender or citrus to the water you are going to use to mop the floor.
These two cleaning hacks will be enough for a nice scent to spread around your home.
6. Use Your Own DIY Bathroom Freshener
There are many easy ways to keep your home smelling fresh.
One way is to use bathroom fresheners and keep the windows open to allow fresh air to circulate.
A natural way to keep the bathroom smelling nice is by making your own DIY bathroom freshener. A simple recipe is to mix 15 drops of your favorite essential oil with one cup of water or rose water and 2 tbsp of rubbing alcohol. Pour into a bottle spray and shake well before each use.
7. Clean Dirt Scum from Washroom Tiles
If you’re looking for an easy way to remove the smell from your house, clean dirt scum from washroom tiles.
Bathrooms are often the source of smells in a home, and cleaning the tiles can help to remove the odor.
First, use a stiff brush to scrub the dirt and scum from the tiles. Do not miss the lower edges of the wall.
Next, mix together one part white vinegar and one part water.
Use a spray bottle to apply the mixture to the tiles, and let it sit for 10 minutes.
Now wash everything off.
This way, your washroom will shine like pearls and the smell will be removed too. You will get a washroom that both looks and smells good.
8. Change Bedsheets Frequently and Use a Spray
It’s no secret that bedrooms can oftentimes smell musty or smelly.
While this may be due to a variety of factors, one of the easiest ways to combat this is by changing your bed sheets frequently.
One hack you can use to keep your sheets and pillowcases smelling fresher for longer is to lightly spray them with a mixture of water and fabric conditioner. Pick a fabric conditioner with relaxing ingredients such as lavender or chamomile.
Make sure the sheets are entirely dry before making the bed.
This way, you will get a fresh and hygienic bedroom that would lead to a relaxing and refreshing sleep.
Rise and shine!
9. Make Sure Your Closet Smells Good
If you’re like most people, you probably have a few items of clothing in your closet that you just can’t seem to part with, even though they smell bad.
Or you simply put the dirty clothes back in the cupboard.
Unfortunately, if you store these smelly clothes with the rest of your clothes, it will make your entire closet smell bad.
The best way to prevent this from happening is to keep your smelly clothes in a separate cupboard or in a laundry bag.
Also, you must wash your clothes regularly to keep them fresh.
Other tips to make your closet smell nice:
- Place inside your closet a container with baking soda and rice
- Or a container with baking soda and lavender seeds
- Make DIY scented sachets bags and place them in your closet
- Dry flowers with a few drops of essential oils
- Coffee beans
- Use DIY scented wax tablets
- Want more tips? Check how to make your closet smell good.
10. Scented Candles, Diffusers, or Incense
Scented candles, essential oil diffusers, and incense sticks will help keep the air in your home fresh.
They come in a variety of scents, from citrus to lavender, and can be used to get rid of unpleasant smells or to create a relaxing atmosphere.
Candles and incense sticks are a great way to make your house smell nice without using harsh chemicals, and they can be used in any room.
Diffusers are perfect for small spaces, like bathrooms and kitchens, and they can be used to disinfect the air.
Also, they elevate the look of the surroundings, making your house both look and smell good.
*Remember to never leave burning candles unattended.
11. Sprinkle Baking Soda on Carpet and Vacuum after 30 Minutes
Carpet cleaning is surely a headache but what if I told you there was an easy way to keep your carpets clean and fresh?
Baking soda is a versatile and affordable product that can be used for many purposes around the house.
One of these purposes is to clean carpets.
Sprinkling baking soda on carpets and vacuuming it up after 30 minutes will help to remove dirt, dust, and other debris from the carpets.
This method is a simple and effective way to keep your house clean.
Want to make your own carpet cleaner deodorizer? Check homemade carpet cleaner powder.
12. Deodorize Your Shoes and Socks
Sometimes you are the direct reason why your house smells bad.
Do your shoes and socks smell bad?
Do you have an aversion to taking your shoes off because of the funky smell?
There is no need to be embarrassed any longer!
You can deodorize your shoes and socks and enjoy clean, fresh-smelling feet.
There are a few different ways to deodorize your shoes and socks.
One way is to sprinkle baking soda in them and let them sit overnight.
Another way is to put a dryer sheet in each shoe.
You can also use a spray deodorant.
Would you like fresher laundry? Read how to make your laundry smell good naturally.
13. Drop Essential Oils into Air Conditioner Filter
Keeping your house smelling fresh can be a challenge sometimes, but with a few simple tricks, it can be easy.
One of the easy ways to keep your house smelling good is to drop essential oils into your air conditioner filter.
This will release a pleasant scent into the air every time the air conditioner turns on.
You can use any essential oil you like, but some of our favorites include lavender, lemon, and peppermint.
14. Steam Spices/Herbs for Fresh Smell
If your home always smells a little stale, steaming can be used to freshen up the smell of your house by adding a pleasant scent to the air.
They are also a great way to get rid of unwanted odors.
Steam spices and herbs come in a variety of different scents, so you can find one that’s perfect for your home.
I personally like cinnamon, cloves, saffron, mint, and lemon balm.
All you have to do is put the spices or herbs into the water and simmer to make it steam.
Let the steam flow through your house and enjoy a fragrant paradise!
15. Use Vinegar during Cleaning
Household vinegar is a multipurpose product that can be used for cleaning and other purposes.
One of the benefits of using vinegar is that it helps to make the house smell good. It acts as a natural deodorant.
Vinegar has a strong odor, but it dissipates quickly and leaves a fresh scent behind.
In order to use vinegar for cleaning, mix it with water in a spray bottle.
The vinegar will help to break down dirt and grease, and the water will help to rinse it away.
Just spray the water everywhere and enjoy the freshness!
For other ways to use vinegar check these vinegar cleaning hacks,
16. Use Dry Flowers
Dry flowers are not only beautiful, but they also have the ability to make your home smell nice.
The trick is knowing which type of flower to use for what kind of scent you want. To make dry flowers smell good and enhance their smell spray them with your preferred essential oil.
- Lavender and chamomile will create a soothing and calming aroma, rose petals will give off a romantic scent,
- Eucalyptus and citrus leaves will create an uplifting smell that is perfect for mornings.
- Rose and Jasmine have an amazing floral scent and can help alleviate anxiety.
A few ways you can use dry flowers to scent your home:
- Place dry flowers buds or seeds in containers around your home. I love the scent of roses and lavender.
- Hang springs of dry flowers from doors, walls, inside cupboards, closets, or any place you can think of.
- Make a beautiful bouquet and use a vase to display them.
- You could also make your own potpourri with dry flowers and add other ingredients like cinnamon sticks, cloves, coffee beans, and vanilla extract.
17. Make Your Home Smell Like Coffee
Do you love the smell of coffee? Want to make your house smell like coffee? Try this:
- Place some ground coffee beans on a tray and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes. The heat will cause the coffee to release its aroma into the air and make your house smell like coffee.
- Brew some fresh coffee grounds in a pot of boiling water. Place the pot on a stove and let it simmer for about 20 minutes – Turn off the stove and let the pot cool down – Put the pot in an open window or place it in another area of your home – The scent will linger for hours.
18. How to Make Your Home Smell Like Laundry Softener
The fragrance of laundry softeners can be great for making your house smell good.
- All you need to do is boil water with your favorite laundry softener. Pour into a bowl (or several) and place it in a hidden place in your room or living space. You will have the smell of laundry softener for hours.
- Another way is to add a few drops of fabric softener to your carpet cleaner for fresh-smelling carpets.
19. Install a Dehumidifier
Most people would agree that a fresh, clean smell in a house is desirable.
Installing a dehumidifier can help to make your house smell good by getting rid of the musty smell that is often associated with humid environments.
Dehumidifiers work by extracting moisture from the air, which can help to reduce the amount of mold and mildew in your home.
They are also effective at reducing the number of dust mites, which can cause allergies.
They control humidity levels and remove excess moisture, keeping your house fresh and fragrant.
*What others are reading:
- How to clean a messy house
- Home speed cleaning tips
- How to clean and disinfect floors
- Things to disinfect at home
- How to clean your house in 30 minutes
Final Thoughts on Making Your House Smell Good
A good-smelling home is also a clean and hygienic home. The atmosphere is relaxing, refreshing, and healthy.
In a dirty house, microbes breed and spread diseases, so it’s very important to keep your house clean.
Also, it will make you and your guest feel good and leave a good impression.
In conclusion, it is important to make your house smell good because it can improve your mood, make you feel more comfortable, and help to create a positive atmosphere.
So why not take a few minutes today to light a candle or bake some cookies and enjoy the fresh, inviting scent of your home?