Let’s be honest: very few of us love cleaning, and no matter how tidy you think you are, every house gets dirty.
However, it’s important to keep your living space clean and tidy for both your own health and that of your family.
If you are willing to put an end to your dirty house I have compiled a complete guide that will show how to clean your house from top to bottom and room by room.
So, let’s do it!
Tackle The Clutter
De-cluttering your house is not only necessary to guarantee that you have
enough room to clean, but it will also reduce your stress levels.
Here are 3 tips to get you started:
- First, take a look around your house and make a list of the cluttered areas. Once you’ve identified the problem areas, decide which items you really need and which you can live without. If you’re not sure, ask yourself whether you’ve used the item in the past year. If not, chances are you can do without it.
- Next, get rid of the easy stuff. This might include items that are damaged or no longer serve a purpose. Once you’ve cleared out the obvious junk, focusing on the harder decisions will be easier.
- Finally, find a place for everything else. This might mean investing in some storage solutions, but it will be worth it in the long run. A decluttered house is a happy house!
Clean From Top to Bottom
One of the best ways to clean your house is from top to bottom. This way, you can avoid re-cleaning surfaces that you have already cleaned.
It also allows gravity to help you by trapping dirt and dust on the floor where it can be vacuumed up easily. When you start at the top, you can work your way down, cleaning each surface as you go.
Make sure that you dust ceiling fans, shelves, and other hard-to-reach areas first. Then move on to cleaning mirrors, windows, and other glass surfaces.
Next, wipe down countertops, walls, and appliances.
Finally, vacuum or mop floors. By following this top-to-bottom method, you can be confident that your house is clean from top to bottom.
Set a Simple Routine
Whether you decide to deep clean once a week or just do a quick wipe-down every day, consistency is key.
Cleaning little and often will keep you from becoming overwhelmed by
the task at hand.
I like to do a basic clean daily, where I cover common tasks like placing dirty dishes in the dishwasher (or washing them by hand), surface cleaning, dusting, and maybe hoovering.
This will mean you can tackle larger tasks, such as cleaning the oven, cleaning the inside of the refrigerator, or cleaning inside the microwave on a weekly or monthly basis without becoming worn out.
There are different cleaning routines depending on the time you have available. If you have 2 hours to clean read the post about how to clean your home in 2 hours or less.
If you have 1 hour read how to clean your home in one hour and if all you have is 30 minutes, check out how to clean your house in 30 minutes. What can you do in 15 minutes? Check out these 15 minutes cleaning hacks and tasks.
And if you just want tips to speed up your house cleaning have a look at home speed cleaning tips and shortcuts.
The tips below are about how to clean your whole house on a daily basis but if your house is a mess read how to clean a messy house step by step.
If you make your own DIY cleaners please have a look at 7 household cleaning products not to mix, so you are clear on what ingredients can’t be mixed for cleaning purposes.
1. Start with the Bathroom
The first place to start is the bathrooms. This is because they are the areas that often build up the greatest amount of grime and dirt.
To make it easy for yourself, spray all the bathtubs, showers (see shower cleaning hacks), and surfaces with your preferred cleaner, and give the toilet an initial disinfectant and brush.
Then simply leave it to soak. This way, the chemicals will do the hard work while you take on some of the other tasks.
A quick wipe-down at the end and your bathrooms will be twinkling.
If you are a fan of cleaning with natural products check out these bathroom cleaning hacks using only natural ingredients.
And if you want a natural cleaner for your bathroom read homemade bathroom cleaner spray with lemon.
RELATED READING: How to make toilet bombs with these 3 easy recipes
2. Cleaning the Living Room
The living room is one of the most used rooms in the house, so it’s important to keep it clean. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
1. Start with the basics
- open the windows
- dust all surfaces
- wipe down any fingerprints or smudges on glass surfaces
- vacuum the floors
If you have carpets I have 4 homemade carpet cleaner powder recipes to keep stains and odors at bay.
2. Don’t forget about the furniture
Upholstered items like sofas and chairs can be a breeding ground for dust mites and other allergens. Be sure to vacuum them regularly.
3. Small details
Once you’ve tackled the big stuff, take care of the little details – like fluffing pillows and straightening throw blankets.
4. Add some cheerful accents
Finally, add a bit of flair – consider adding some fresh flowers, greenery, or scented candles to brighten up the space
With just a little bit of effort, you can keep your living room looking neat and tidy and make it a place everyone will want to spend time in.
3. Tips To Clean Your Bedroom
If your bedroom is a mess check out tips to clean a messy bedroom in 7 easy steps.
- open the windows
- air the bed by pulling back the duvet or blanket
- give everything a good dusting
- make the bed and fluff up pillows
- vacuum or sweep the floors
- empty trash can
You can add a cheerful throw blanket or some cozy scented candles to complete the perfect bedroom oasis.
Now all that’s left to do is enjoy a good night’s rest in your clean and tranquil space.
Is your mattress dirty? It is important to have a clean mattress so if you need a few tips to keep it clean and free of dust mites check out how to clean a smelly mattress and remove stains.
4. How To Clean Your Kitchen
Keeping your kitchen clean on a daily basis is actually fairly easy if you develop a good routine.
One of the easiest ways to keep your kitchen clean is to tidy up as you go.
• Wash dishes as soon as they are used or rinse them before placing them in the dishwasher. This will prevent food from drying on and causing stains.
To have a spotless dishwasher have a look at these brilliant dishwasher cleaning hacks and tips.
• Wipe down countertops and appliances after each use. A quick once-over with a damp cloth will remove any crumbs or spills before they have a chance to harden.
If your kitchen cabinets are dirty read the best way to clean greasy kitchen cabinets using DIY solutions.
• Sweep or vacuum the floor each night. This will help to prevent dirt and dust from building up.
It’s much easier to do a little bit each day than to let the dirt and grime build up.
If you want to have spotless floors check out how to clean and disinfect floors.
6. Home Office Cleaning Tips
A home office can be a great way to get work done in a comfortable and familiar setting. However, it’s important to keep your office and desk clean and organized, or it can quickly become a source of stress.
If you are lucky enough to work from home here are a few tips to help maintain this area neat and tidy.
- Schedule some time each week to declutter and organize. You don’t need to spend hours every day straightening up, but dedicating a set amount of time each week will help you stay on top of things.
- Keep your desk clear. A messy desk makes it difficult to find what you need. Try to limit yourself to only essential items, and store everything else in a drawer or cabinet.
- Don’t let paper pile up. Deal with mail and paperwork as soon as possible, and recycle anything that you don’t need. File away any important documents that you need to keep.
- Dust regularly. Dust collects quickly, so it’s important to dust surfaces frequently. Use a feather duster or microfiber cloth to reach all the nooks and crannies.
- Don’t forget to empty the trash can at the end of the day.
- Vacuum and mop regularly. Not only will this help keep your office looking clean, but it will also reduce dust and allergens in the air.
7. Playroom Cleaning Tips
If you have kids, then you know that playrooms can quickly become cluttered and messy.
Toys are strewn about, crayons are melted into the carpet, and there always seems to be a thin layer of dust on everything.
But don’t despair – with a little effort, you can keep your playroom clean and tidy. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Schedule some time each day to tidy up. Even just 15 minutes can make a big difference.
- Encourage your kids to put away their toys when they’re finished playing with them. A toy box or other storage solution can help with this.
- Keep things organized by assigning a place for everything. Hooks can be used for coats and bags, and shelves can hold books and toys.
- Make cleanup time fun by turning it into a game. See who can pick up the most toys in 2 minutes, or race to see who can put away all their puzzles first.
With these tips, you’ll be able to keep your playroom clean and organized – and your kids will have fun doing it too!
8. Laundry Room Cleaning Tips
Most people don’t spend a lot of time thinking about their laundry rooms, but keeping this space clean can actually save you time and money in the long run.
Here are a few tips to help you keep your laundry room clean and organized:
- Start by decluttering. Take some time to go through your laundry room and get rid of any cleaning supplies or other items that you don’t use regularly. This will help you free up space and make it easier to keep the area clean.
- Make sure to sweep and mop the floor regularly. Laundry rooms can be prone to moisture, which can lead to mold and mildew growth. Sweep and mop the floor at least once a week to prevent this from happening.
- Wipe down surfaces regularly. Every few days, take a damp cloth and wipe down all of the surfaces in your laundry room, including the washing machine and dryer. This will help remove any dirt or grime that has built up over time.
For more tips to keep your washer clean check out how to clean a smelly washing machine.
- Organize your laundry supplies. Invest in some storage bins or baskets to help keep your detergents, fabric softeners, and other supplies organized. This will make it easier to find what you need when you’re doing laundry and help prevent messes.
Following these simple tips, you can keep your laundry room clean and organized with minimal effort.
Home Cleaning Tips And Tricks
- how to clean your house before Christmas
- 30 things to disinfect at home
- how to clean burnt sugar from a pan
- home spring cleaning tips
- car cleaning hacks
Some Final Hints and Tips
Finally, I want to give you five more handy hints.
1. Organize your cleaning products and keep the ones you use daily together. This will avoid spending time searching for them and make it much easier to tackle the cleaning.
2. Vinegar is a usual ingredient used for cleaning. If you are searching for a natural and budget-friendly way to remove limescale, then vinegar has got you covered.
Simply soak the head of your shower or kettle in a mix of boiling water and vinegar and watch the limescale disappear. For more tips check out vinegar cleaning hacks and uses.
3. Keep your fridge lemon fresh. Placing half a lemon at the top and bottom of your fridge is a great way to mask any smells.
4. Freshen up your bins. To avoid any nasty smells from the bins, we recommend putting a simple sheet of fabric softener inside. This will fill the air with a beautiful scent and prevent unwanted odors from filling your home.
5. Vanish stubborn pet hair. We love our pets, but their hair can get everywhere. Use rubber gloves to ensure a thorough cleaning. When rubbed against the fabric, the rubber will create elasticity, which will easily collect that hard-to-pick-up fur.
How To Clean Your House From Top To Bottom
Little and frequent cleaning does not have to be a daunting task that you put off.
Simply set a routine and stick to it. You will be surprised at how quickly you can complete it. Now it’s time to relax and enjoy the benefits of your hard work.