If you want to know how to decorate plastic plant pots to make them look nice, the step-by-step tutorial below will give a few ideas to get you started.
Perhaps you have a few plain boring plastic flower pots in your home that don’t seem good enough for your plants?
It is time to give them a makeover! They will look perfect in your garden, on your window ledges, or even indoors.
I have done the same, so if you are looking for easy ways to decorate plastic plant pots, have a look at these 4 ideas to get you inspired.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. It means that if you buy through my links I will receive a small compensation at no extra cost to you.
How to Decorate Plastic Plant Pots
With a few supplies and your imagination, you can transform dull flower plastic pots into beautiful crafts.
1. White Spray Paint And Twine Flower Pots (Rustic Farmhouse Style)
I had a few small plastic pots that look like the ones below.
The first thing I did was paint them. For the first two plant pots, I used white spray paint. I give them a layer with Matte Finish Linen White Chalk Spray Paint.
A few tips before painting your plastic plant pots:
- Make sure the pots are clean.
- With some paints, the fumes are strong, so be sure you paint the pots outside.
- Beware of wind and dust.
- Shake the bottle really well and spray from a distance.
- Avoid spraying too much to prevent the build-up of the paint and the dreaded drips.
- A few thin layers are better than one thick layer.
The problem I found using chalk paint on plastic was that it started to flake off in some places.
But in the end, I decided to leave it like that because I very much liked the way it looked, like a vintage flowerpot.
If you don’t like the aged look, use a non-crack spray paint suitable for plastic.
To make something similar, tie around the plant pot with twine string and stick a few flowers of your choice on it.
Last, plant your preferred flowers and place them on a tray or saucers.
2. White Spray Paint And Ribbon Flower Pots
To recreate this look, spray the plant pots with non-crack spray paint suitable for plastic.
Plant the flowers of your choice and place the flower pots in saucers or a tray.
3. Green Spray Paint With A Touch Of Golden
To recreate this look, spray the top of the pot with gold paint spray for plastic. Cover the rest of the pot with paper or an old cloth.
Once the paint is dry, cover the gold paint with paper and spray the rest with green spray paint (suitable for plastic).
When the paint dries, decorate the plant pots with Rhinestone flowers and gemstones for crafts.
You can use an inexpensive wooden picture frame to make the saucer or tray. Paint it the color you want and let it dry. It’s that easy!
Lastly, plant your chosen flowers.
RELATED READING: Cute DIY home decor ideas
4. Blue Spray Paint And Yellow Ribbon
To recreate this look, spray paint your plant pots with blue spray paint for plastic.
If you want to give them a vintage appearance, lightly scrape the surface of the plastic pots with a piece of paper.
Do this step before the spray paint dries.
Another way to give a distressed look to plastic is by lightly sanding the surface once the paint is completely dry.
Make the plant pot saucer or tray the same way as with the green pots.
Finally, plant the flowers of your choice.
Other DIY home decor tips and crafts you might enjoy:
- easy DIY tiered tray step-by-step tutorial
- Fall Mason Jar Decor (easy DIY project)
- scented wax tablet recipes to eliminate bad smell
- how to make wooden signs with stencils
- 15 farmhouse decorating ideas on a budget
- best kitchen coffee bar ideas and decor tips
- French country style accessories and decor tips
Do you have any questions about how to decorate plastic plant pots? Or maybe you have some ideas on what to do with old plastic flower pots? Please leave your comments below.