Learning how to make DIY sugar scrubs at home is easy and also important if you want to avoid the use of chemicals that are harmful to the skin.
Below are 5 awesome essential oil sugar scrubs recipes that smell divine. They are simple to make and the ingredients are easily available at convenience stores. I buy mine online at Amazon and that’s why I recommend them.
One of the many benefits of using a sugar scrub is that it leaves the skin feeling smooth and with a glowing appearance.
I’ve also included a bonus section for you on the best essential oils for DIY beauty products.
Perfect gifts and fun to make!
NOTE: Don’t use these scrubs if you have broken or very sensitive skin. Also make sure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients used on the recipes. Oils are slippery so be cautions if you use them in the shower. Use a bath mat and wash the bath or shower tray to get rid of oil.
- 1 5 Easy Sugar Scrubs Recipes to Make at Home
- 2 1. Homemade Eucalyptus Sugar Scrub – For Legs and Feet
- 3 2. DIY Lavender and Lemon Sugar Scrub – For Face, Neck & Hands
- 4 3. DIY Exotic Rose and Hibiscus Body Scrub
- 5 4. Easy DIY Sugar Lip Scrub with Honey
- 6 5. DIY Vanilla Sugar Scrub
- 7 Top 7 Sugar Scrub Benefits for The Skin
- 8 5 of The Best Essential Oils to Make DIY Sugar Scrubs
5 Easy Sugar Scrubs Recipes to Make at Home
Treat your whole body with these easy to make sugar scrub recipes. Time to transform your bathroom into a great smelling spa!
1. Homemade Eucalyptus Sugar Scrub – For Legs and Feet
I find that the smell of coconut oil is sometimes too overpowering, so I have included other oils in case you feel the same and want an alternative.
This homemade sugar scrub is ideal for tired legs and feet. The reason for choosing eucalyptus essential oil is that it has this amazing soothing effect and leaves your skin feeling cool and fresh, while also helping to relieve joint pain.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- or olive oil
- 1,5 cups brown sugar
- 15 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops orange essential oil
How to Make It
- Mix one cup of brown sugar and coconut or olive oil in a bowl to make a paste.
- Add to the mixture, 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and 10 drops of orange essential oil and mix well.
- For a firmer consistency, add the remaining cup of sugar bit by bit as you mix.
- Your sugar scrub is now ready to use.
- Transfer to a container with lid and store it in a cool dry place.
2. DIY Lavender and Lemon Sugar Scrub – For Face, Neck & Hands
I love this sugar scrub because of the calming and hydrating properties it has. It also helps that smells great. For the face and neck is better to use milled sugar as the particles are smaller and less aggressive to these sensitive areas.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or almond oil
- 1.5 cups of white sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 teaspoons lavender essential oil
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 or 2 teaspoons dried lavender
1 – Prepare the ingredients. I have chosen almond oil for this scrub.
2 – Combine the sugar and almond oil in a mixing bowl
3 – Add the lavender essential oil
4 – Add the lemon essential oil
5 – Next is the dried lavender
6 – Stir and stir some more!
To preserve the rich fragrance, put the ready formula into an airtight glass jar.
If the homemade lavender and lemon essential oil is dry add more oil. On the contrary if is creamier than you would like add more sugar.
How to Use Sugar Scrub on Face & Neck
Using a sugar scrub on your face is very simple. Just follow these 5 steps:
- Make sure your face and neck are clean.
- Mix a small amount of scrub with few drops of water.
- Gently apply over the face and neck with small circular movements (up to 1 minute).
- Rinse your face and neck with warm water.
- Pat dry your skin and apply a facial mask or your usual moisturizer.
When used on hands or other parts of the body you can be a little more aggressive.
3. DIY Exotic Rose and Hibiscus Body Scrub
If you are looking for a luxurious body scrub this is the one. Not only will leave the skin smoother but smelling divine too. Try it now!
- 1/3 cup jojoba oil or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup almond oil
- 2 small cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried rose petals
- 1 tablespoon hibiscus flower petals
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops rose essential oil
How to Make This DIY Sugar Scrub
1 – Combine the almond and jojoba oils with sugar in a mixing bowl
2 – Mix all the ingredients
3 – Now add the essential oils
4 – Add the rose and hibiscus flowers and continue stirring
5 – Make sure the color is evenly distributed in the mixture
6 – Store the ready product in airtight glass jars
If you love the smell of roses you are going to love this sugar scrub. It smells divine! If not, add another essential oil of your choice.
4. Easy DIY Sugar Lip Scrub with Honey
Get rid of dead skin on your lips and add a touch of hydration with this effective homemade sugar scrub for lips.
How to Make It & Use It
- Mix all the ingredients until you get a thick paste.
- Extend it with gentle circular massages and let it act for 5 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Apply a hydrating lip balm.
- For better results apply twice a week.
- Store in a small container in a cool dry place.
5. DIY Vanilla Sugar Scrub
Vanilla essential oil has amazing benefits for health and skin. Make this sugar scrub if you want antioxidant and antiaging power on your skin.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 spoons of honey
- 1/2 cup of jojoba oil or olive oil
- 8 drops of vanilla essential oil or half spoon vanilla extract
How to Make It & Use It
- Mix all the ingredients.
- The aim is to obtain a thick paste by adding + or – sugar or oil.
- Apply a generous amount and massage in circular motions.
- Leave for at least 5 minutes and rinse with war water.
- Keep in an airtight glass container. Mason jars are ideal for this.
✅ Here is a selection of the best jars for sugar scrubs:
Top 7 Sugar Scrub Benefits for The Skin
Homemade sugar scrubs have beautiful benefits for the skin:
- Get rid of dead cells
- Unclogging pores
- Boost blood circulation
- Better absorption of skin care products
- Even, glowing and smoother skin
- Skin regeneration
- Makes your tanning look better and last longer
As you can already see, these homemade beauty products are easy to make and they are all very safe to use. I encourage you to explore more options with more essential oils, as they are the spice of the formula. But which essential oils are best for making sugar scrubs?
If you are a fan of homemade recipes you are going to love these DIY essential oils bath bombs recipes.
5 of The Best Essential Oils to Make DIY Sugar Scrubs
- Lavender – It is probably the most popular essential oil known to man. Lavender is loved because of its sweet aroma, and its ability to sooth the skin. It goes well with frankincense and almost all carrier oils.
- Citrus based (Bergamot, Orange, Lemon, Tangerine) – Apart from the invigorating and refreshing nature of citrus-based oils, they possess mild antibacterial, antiseptic, antifungal and antimicrobial properties. These oils are of great help to damaged skin. Tangerine is effective in battling acne in both men and women.
- Frankincense – An extract of the Boswellia sacra, this ancient oil has been found to be effective against uneven skin tone caused by aging or sunburn.
- Tea tree – I haven’t heard of an essential oil with as strong antiseptic properties as tea tree. You can actually use it to treat a bacterial infection. It’s an excellent choice for products made to treat common skin infections.
- Geranium – Thanks to its ability to balance sebum secretion, this essential oil is ideal for use on all skin types. Geranium also has anti-inflammatory properties that help to calm pain or itchy skin.
✅ Check this great collection of essential oils for all your DIY beauty recipes.
Do you use homemade sugar scrubs? What’s your favorite?