17 Fantastic Vintage Farmhouse Decorating Ideas & Accessories
If you are looking for vintage farmhouse decorating ideas, you will love all the tips and accessories of this wonderful rustic style.
Whoever came up with the saying that ‘Old is gold’ must have lived in a farmhouse.
Because it is one of the coolest places you can ever live in.
The timeless authenticity, elegance, and coziness of a farmhouse have inspired a wave of interest among homeowners and interior designers. Everyone now wants to live in a farmhouse.
But what exactly is the farmhouse look? How can you transform your modern home into a traditional farmhouse?
In this post, I’ll briefly describe what a vintage farmhouse is and how you can transform your home into one.
This post contains affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I get rewarded a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Vintage Farmhouse Decor Style
From the most basic point of view, a farmhouse is the main residence on a farm. Since most farms are in rural areas, farmhouses were made almost entirely from materials sourced either from local markets or from within the farm.
Today, the vintage farmhouse style is becoming popular among homeowners.
The idea of having this decor style is, however, not to make the house look old but to incorporate modern decor designs with traditional housing ideas.
Tips And Accessories to Transform Your Home Into a Vintage Farmhouse
This transformation process is not a complete makeover of your home. The plan here is to help you come up with ways of adding a vintage farmhouse touch to your house, give you some tips on how you could accessorize your home, and then leave the rest to you.
The best part is that you can actually do it all by yourself.
So, let’s do this.
Vintage Farmhouse Decorating Ideas For The Kitchen
There are a few key accessories and items you can add to your kitchen to give it a rustic farmhouse vibe.
1. If you’re going to have a farmhouse kitchen, make sure you don’t leave out a large to medium size sink. It really adds a touch of rustic to the kitchen. The types of sinks you often find in a traditional farmhouse are of white color and made of stone. It is important to know the size you need for the space that is available.
This is the sink I got for my modern farmhouse-style kitchen.
For a great choice, read the post about the best farmhouse sinks.
2. Next, for storage purposes, opt for white or neutral kitchen cabinets and open shelves. You can use the shelves to store kitchen towels, aprons, and some groceries. Open shelves are also useful to keep nice kitchen items you want to showcase.
Rustic kitchen wood floating shelves
If you are short of space or have a small kitchen adding a kitchen pantry like this one will solve storage problems.
3. Also, add in some wooden or distressed metal utensils. These could include spoons, plates, racks, etc. The idea here is to bring some history into the kitchen and almost create the impression of having inherited some utensils from your great-grandma.
4. Another classic to have in a farmhouse kitchen is storage baskets or crates. Popular materials include wire, wood, tin, and wicker. These can be used to keep snacks, fruits, cans, and so much more. They are also useful as gifts and for decoration purposes.
Farmhouse style wooden storage crates
5. Galvanized metal canisters are a must in a vintage farmhouse kitchen. These look amazing on your countertop or shelves. I keep mine on my coffee bar cabinet. You can use them to keep dry food or just for decoration purposes.
Vintage farmhouse kitchen canisters
For more options, have a look at this selection of country kitchen canister sets.
6. Hang rustic signs on your kitchen walls. There is a great variety of wall art you can use to give your kitchen walls a farmhouse touch. Popular signs include distressed wood, black frames over a white background, or galvanized metal.
Cutting board kitchen rustic sign wall
7. Other items that will transform your kitchen into a farmhouse dream include rustic utensil holders, galvanized sponge holders, and vintage salt and pepper shakers like the ones below.
Click on the images to find out more information.
8. A rustic vintage vase made of galvanized metal will look the part on your kitchen shelves or countertop. You can use it for multiple purposes: for artificial flowers or plants, as a utensil holder, or just for decorating purposes.
Check this rustic farmhouse metal vase
Rustic wooden flooring is good for the whole house but just perfect for the bedroom. You can decide to leave it plain and natural or bring in an old but clean carpet. You could get an antique mat or a distressed rug to complement wooden floors and give your bedroom a vintage farmhouse look.
8. Consider getting new bed frames, especially classic designs or wrought iron, and shop for vintage-themed quilts or country bedspreads for your bedding. You could also use grain sacks to create nice pillow covers.
Country Cottage Patchwork Bedspread Set
9. If getting a new bed sounds too large scale, try pairing the one you have with a vintage chest (loving this one) and a vintage bedside lamp.
10. Create a warm and cozy atmosphere with this rustic lamp. A perfect addition to a farmhouse-style bedroom.
11. This is the perfect rustic decorative sign for your bedroom. Hang it up on top of your bed and have “sweet dreams” every night.
The Living Room
This is where most of the attention goes. Everything about a farmhouse living room revolves around vintage furniture, and this is something you want to invest in.
12. The rustic industrial look is a more modern take of this style. Mix and match your current fittings with side chairs, stools, or small tables made of rustic wood or mixed with vintage or industrial styles.
Industrial side table with adjustable shelves
13. A rustic fireplace could be the focal point of your living room. For a distressed fireplace style, mix bricks and wood. Add a few rustic ornaments to complete the look. So beautiful!
14. A farmhouse living room also looks great with rural artifacts like paintings of livestock and the beautiful countryside. Then, whatever you do, don’t forget the lights. Barn style pendants, rustic style lamps, and gooseneck sconces look amazing anywhere in the house.
5-Light Linear Farmhouse Pendant Lights
15. For the dining area, opt for a nice classic farm table preferably made entirely of solid wood.
Since almost all farmhouses had an extended living space on the porch or patio, you can create one in your new vintage home.
16. To create the full farmhouse style outside, you can get rustic potted flowers and plants, welcome signs, one or two rocking chairs, and a swing.
To find out about the products, click on the images below.
17. In addition, you could also plant a small garden for herbs. If you don’t have enough space, plant some of the herbs in pots and have them join the flowers on the porch. These plants will invite beautiful butterflies to your home while at the same time keep off bad insects like mosquitoes.
Vintage Metal Herb Pot Planters
Would you like to know to transform old plant pots into cute planters for your herbs or flowers? Read how to decorate plastic plant pots and follow the tutorial.
- If you are a country girl at heart, you will love these French country-style accessories and decorating tips.
- For more farmhouse tips and accessories, check 15 Farmhouse Decor Budget Ideas.
Vintage Farmhouse Decorating Tips
If you haven’t noticed yet, the secret to making a vintage farmhouse is in the mixing and matching.
So, I encourage you to try as much as possible to get old, antique, or distressed accessories and look for places to put them.
This list could be even bigger, so if you still want to check other items for your farmhouse-style home, have a look at these farmhouse finds.
HOME DECOR ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- 23 Farmhouse Christmas decor ideas
- Best kitchen coffee bar ideas
- How to make an easy DIY tiered tray
- Easy DIY Christmas wreath
- How to make a DIY flower wreath
- 7 coffee storage canisters to keep your coffee fresh
What are your best vintage farmhouse decor ideas?